4.18.2012

today- hand dying




it's been a while since I've posted posted here about the studio and far longer since I last hand dyed any fabric. I've been working on a number of projects around the house and the studio, but it seems I can't quite get my thoughts in order enough to share the progress. Today, with the blue sky and warm wind (let it be know- it was SNOWING Monday), seemed just the right day to make a few new inspiring colors for the shop, for new bears, and while I'm at it to dip a couple of Claude's clothes in the baths too (multi-tasking is at an all time high around here which may be contributing to my unfocused work).

Hand dying fabric is one of my go to tricks for livening up my fabric supplies (and Claude's wardrobe!). I love how I start out with drab, plain, and obsessively "solid" colors; and after an hour or so of work I end up with rich hues, slightly variegated in tone, and perfectly unexpected. I never know quite what I'm going to get but the surprise is generally a good one... and Claude will have some fine new duds to wear too. Done and Done.

Tomorrow I'll post a few of these colors of mohair in the shop- for those looking to make another bear or rabbit or anyone who has yet to give it a go- this might be just the kick you needed to get going! and YES I am planning more patterns soon. I have two that are in the works just keep getting set aside for more pressing projects. While I'm not ready to set a date for their posting I'll tell you- it's a bigger bear and an elephant!!! exciting right?!

(below: the view from my porch were all the colorful bits are now hanging out to dry- not bad huh?)

1 comment: