6.07.2010

neck ties all around! and notes on the last few days-

FINALLY- a day in the studio! I've been making neckties and making other cute things with this striped fabric. I've had it for the last few years, just today I think I really saw how good it is for the first time. Helllloooo lovely stripe!




So- what's been going on here? I've been desperately trying to get our house in order... and what I mean by "in order" is child proofing. To be more specific I'm removing all of the death traps in our living space. What is it about having a cruising baby that makes you see how broke down all of your possessions are? Maybe I should speak for myself- perhaps your items have never been "broke down". Anyway, I've always thought of my home as charmingly vintage. I've spend years accumulating the quirky old items that gave our space character but now I see it's just one big danger zone. I'm not an overly fussy mom, but I just hadn't done anything to ready our house for a mobile baby... and since he's not going to be slowing down anytime soon, and I'd like to keep my sanity throughout this parenting phase I figured now is the time. So out with the old and in with the new... I mean new to me. Now when on the hunt for the house I do a much closer inspection. I actually run my hands along all surfaces and turn objects over to check out the undersides, weight and stability. For all those with children- you know what I'm talking about. For everyone else... ignore me, or roll your eyes- that's what I would have been doing while reading this even a few months ago. Ohhh how things change.
Sooooooo, forgive my absence these last few days- I've been trying to create a happy, safe and beautiful space my whole family can live in- arrrggggg. Wish me luck. I'm back at it tonight.

4 comments:

  1. I love the new little bunny. He is adorable in his new necktie. As for the home safety issue, I know what you mean. My kids are all grown now, but I didn't have one knick knack out during those busy years. It was easier for me and them if everything was put away until the appropriate time when they were older that I could bring them back out. Have fun and enjoy this time. They grow up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh just wait til you get familiar with those kitchen and bathroom cabinet childproof locks and they become second nature.
    Suddenly your child(ren?) is in junior high and you still have those locks on the cabinets.
    So, you FINALLY take them off and then every time you open the cabinets . . . your fingers still do those unlocking motions!
    Ahhh, creatures of habits and the habits of little creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is 12 now and I can still remember the angst I had child proofing our apartment. The plugs, the plants, the CD's. No matter how proofed you think it is, babykins will find something to get into. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete