Today I tried my hand at making wool diaper covers. For those not in the know, wool naturally repels liquid and the covers work great over the old school tri-fold cloth diapers in place of plastic pants. Being an industrious seamstress (and a bit of a stickler for quality fabrics), I couldn't quite imagine spending $30-50 (Top right and bottom left) for more than one or two of these beautiful wool diaper covers, nor could I fathom using a bunch of plastic covers... so I thought I'd try one of the patterns I found online (bottom right) and I constructed the other from looking at the beauties given to me (top left). Both are made from a vintage 100% wool sweater. They feel really good, and without felting them (I just doubled the knit in key areas), they have a comparable thickness to the samples. We'll see which works better, and then perhaps I'll make more in different sizes.
(laughing at myself) I may not be much of a planner, but oh my, how I can think of important projects which just have to be practiced before the little one arrives.